Sunday, June 22, 2008

Exclusive Interview: Fresh Daily


1) How's it going? First off, the name, Fresh Daily. Talk about when and how you got the name, and what its meaning signifies.

I used to go by another name. I've actually told this stroy so many times I'm a teeny bit nauseous rehashing it, but the abridged version goes, I got a cease and desist on the old name and switched to a name much more appropriate for my aesthetic. Always bringing something new to the table.
The name just signifies that I'm both a leader of the new school and a follower of the old school.

2) You're a very busy man. Give a run down of the projects you're currently working on. Producers? Guest appearances?

Ok, great. I just wrapped up my songs on "Table Manners" which is the 2 Hungry Bros new compilation album which is out now. Just Google "2 Hungry Bros Table Manners" also wrapping up my side EP "Tomorrow is today" and finally my full length album "The Gorgeous Killer in Crimes of Passion". Next year sees the completed projects of the album Dj Spinna and I are working on, Charlie Browns Field Goal (which is me and 8thW1) and hopefully "Daily New" with me and producer Suede Jury.

In terms of collabos with emcees, I've worked with Cool Calm Pete (def jux) and Tanya Morgan and Substantial, Skyzoo and others for my album. Lately I've been working with Mickey Factz and Homeboy Sandman. There's more in the works, but I'd rather not spoil it.

3) You've worked with some pretty heavy hitters. Talk about the path you've gone on in terms of connecting with some of these folks, as well as what the process was like in the studio. Any particular story/session stick out?

Sure, meeting the 2 Hungry Bros was pretty funny. Deep of the 2 Hungry Bros. comes from that hustling music @ venues HARD aesthetic and was really pushy in selling me his cd. We almost didn't work together cuz I hate pushy cd sellin' guys. But he ended up being my manager. Hell, the man knows how to hunt down money, so why not? LOL I met Illmind thru my friend and fellow emcee Naturel. Funny side story, I was railing against/arguing with Rapper Big Pooh on okayplayer message boards over what I felt was an injustice to one of my producers on his part due to (in my opinion) his overwhelming ego. Illmind kinda only knew me from the boards as the angry ranting emcee. LOL, I didn't know who he was at the time but I heard some of his beats at a Guerilla Words showcase and he heard some of my rhymes at the same said showcase and we linked up and the rest is well, history. Apparently because of dudes amazing beats and selective process, he's crafted a position for himself as a respected musician, working with other producers was relatively easy once they knew I worked with Illmind. I met Dj Spinna through Sucio Smash who is the head of our label. Spinna has a similar taste for beats as I do in reference to drums and drum patterns, so we've actually been churning out songs from scratch. I love Spinna cuz dude still gets excited when making beats. I get excited when I make rhymes so, its just fun. I actually met 88 Keys online, and he approached me about working on his mixtape while I was in the hospital. I didn't think I'd make the project since I was in the hospital for mad long. But the minute I got out he asked me to swing by the crib. The first sample he played had me open, so we went in on that joint. He ended up not using it for the mixtape due to time constraints, but it's gonna be released as a string of exclusive downloads. Oh No (Stones Throw) and Ski (Jay-Z, Camp Lo producer) and I worked with thru Sucio, we haven't had the time to actually sit down in the studio together yet but I've recorded with their production via email. Dj Evil Dee is like my big brother, so us working on music was just natural.

4) What has been the biggest hardship/setback/roadblock you've encountered recently on your path of being a recording artist?

Well, there's been several. Changing my name was one. Having no particular studio and engineer I can call home to preserve my sound continuity is another big one. Being in a near death car accident with my leg snapped in half and having to learn how to walk again and being out of the loop for 4 months was another. Aint shit to a G though. Lol. Nah but seriously, all praise due to God for pulling me out that last one alive and relatively unscathed.

5) Your favorite sneaker? What's your collection like?
As much as people jock it now, the dunk is probably my favorite sneaker, I been an o.g dunk collector for a while. Since about '98, when I started earning my own money. My collection is dwindling down because I'm realizing spending 300 bux a week on kix is not in my budget nor a real adult thing to do. Plus, some of the kicks I have are leanin a lil' bit so I either give em away of throw 'em away. I've probably given away more kicks than I've bought, real talk. Once my album drops though, I'm goin shoppin again. I love the Dunk x Trainer hybrids too. They're a real low key sneaker and really function and comfy. Air Force 2's and 3's (Highs) are some of my faves so are air max 95's and 1's. I really prefer high tops though to anything. The bigger and chunky and high the sneaker is, the more I probably will like it in all honesty. I've said this before man, I aint a nerd with it. I like sneakers but that aint my life. If u askin for a number to my collection, it's honestly probably down to like 40 pairs right now.

*Listens to the deafing gasp of Fresh Daily fans*

6) What is it about Fresh Daily that sets him apart from the pack? Do people try and lump you into one category? And if so, how do you feel about the lumping and the category they choose to lump you into?

Um, like I said yo, I'm both a leader of the new school and a follower of the old school. However I think a lot of heads are misusing the word fresh and have kinda fucked up the style I bring to the table by making it real costume, y'know? Like my style was me, I was about my vintage frames, my lmtd edition kicks, my gold rope and my individual style. A lot of kids are kinda running with that and playing it out. To the point I'm kinda nauseated by it. I've kinda muted my style visually to let the music speak more for me. Unfortunately, I still get mistaken for one of the RetroKids or The Cool Kids or what have you. True enough there are elements of a bygone era to my style and taste of music, but there so much more. I'm really trying to push the envelope of what people feel about emcees and hip-hop. Music can be catchy, not kitchsy, commercial AND lyrical. Let's respect the groundwork laid for us by our hip-hop predecessors and continue future-bound. Dig?

7) What can the people look forward to from Fresh Daily?

Fun times. Dope music.

8) If you could have one super-power, what would it be?

Easy. Teleportation.
That would prevent me from my current flaw of being late everywhere. LOL

Shout outs to the 2 Hungry Bros. My AOK fam, and big breasted women. Word. Tomorrow is Today coming dumb soon.
Watch me duke, watch me.


Check out Fresh Daily here

No comments: